This article was curated from this thread on Reddit.1. “You will have to make very practical (sometimes very cold) decisions about what you want from life and what you’re willing to give up. And if you don’t make them then life will make them for you.”
2. “Only a couple of your friends are probably true friends. Appreciate every day you have with your family, they won’t be around for ever. Don’t stress yourself out too much about things that are beyond your control. Take up exercise and maybe a sport, it’s harder to do so when you get older. Avoid getting into debt, it’ll take over your life later on.”
3. “Don’t spend more money just because you are starting to earn more. Keep a savings account. Instead of spending just because, put money away just because. And if you start making more money, put more away. You should be able to instantly afford a significantly priced emergency in your life, and still have money to keep you going til payday.”
4. “Even your dream job will give you a hard time on some days. There is nowhere you “should be by now.” All life paths are different and equally valid. Happiness is a practice. It isn’t something you achieve and then you’re good.”
5. “You aren’t special because you’re different. The only reason you think you’re different is because you haven’t learned the true reasons why everyone else is the way they are. Someday, as a natural progression of trying to keep yourself special, you will become just like them, and you’ll understand.
You won’t always get your way. The real world is not fair and it does not care about you. You are in fact capable of accomplishing anything, but it’s not going to be easy.”
6. “College isn’t a game like high school is. Depending on what career you want, there are some things you need to know and no about of beating around the bush or calling the teacher names is going to save you if you aren’t actually intending to learn it. It’s not actually the teacher’s job to teach you, it’s your job to teach yourself by whatever means necessary and the teacher is just a tool for you to use.
On that note, there is no such thing as a worthless degree if you honestly and truly intend to become the best in the world at it. If you view a degree as a dollar you put into a vending machine and success as the Chips bag that falls out, then yes, 90% of degrees will be worthless to you.
Also, if you 100% the first test of a semester without studying it doesn’t mean you’ll be able to pass every test without studying.”
7. “Friends come and go, and that’s okay. Sometimes, cutting someone out of your life is important, especially if you feel they are holding you back, are toxic, and simply just not a good influence anymore.”
8. “How to stand up for yourself, particularly against authority figures, in a way that gets your point across but is still respectful. That said, pride does absolutely nothing. If you don’t say good morning to your boss in the morning because you don’t like them, you’re not doing yourself any favors.”
9. “Sometimes your best isn’t good enough. Sometimes you put everything you’ve got into something and still don’t get what you wanted.”
10. “Life doesn’t end at 30.”