If the open skies beckon you towards a high-flying role, then you’re inclined towards a career in aviation – one of the more prestigious and glamorous jobs in the country. Travelling – on the job, a fast-paced track and great compensation, an aviation career has it all.
In this blog, we bring you different aviation colleges that allow people to gain the right base for a career in this field. Remember these are aviation only institutes – we are not looking at institutions which also offer aeronautical engineering. Placements are important too.
Common Eligibility Criteria for Aviation Colleges
Here are the common eligibility criteria for all of these colleges:
- Minimum 50% in physics, chemistry and maths in Class XII
- Age – 17-24 years old to qualify for entrance exams
The top 9 aviation colleges are:
1. Indian Institute of Aeronautics, New Delhi:
Established by the IIA Group’s Late Captain RN Sinha in 1981, the government approved institute is recognised across the entire spectrum of the Indian aviation industry. 36 years old, the institute is known chiefly for its campus and placements with core aviation companies.
Aviation Maintenance Engineering (AME) is a three-year course, for which most students flock to this institute among aviation colleges. With a six month on-the-job training and a 2.5-year mix of theoretical and practical training, students qualify for a basic AME License (BAMEL) from the Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA), Govt. of India.
Course fee: Rs 1.71 lakh per year (Rs 5,12,000 total tuition fee)
The placements offered here are from prestigious companies like Indian Air Force, Bell, Air India and Honeywell.
2. Indian Institute of Aeronautics Science, Jamshedpur:
Keen on real-life practical experience at an airport as part of your aviation learning? Then consider the Indian Institute of Aeronautics Science in Jamshedpur. The 26-year-old institute helps provide technical manpower to the aviation industry through its singular focus course and teaching with advanced learning equipment.
The Aircraft Maintenance Engineering course here is a three-year, full-time program, with an option to apply for scholarships.
- Rs 96,000 for boys
- Rs 76,000 for girls
Companies like Air India, Pawan Hans, state government units and private aircraft players recruit students from this institute.
3. Indian Institute for Aeronautical Engineering and information, Pune:
The Indian Institute for Aeronautical Engineering and Information, Pune is fast moving towards becoming a stable entry amid aviation colleges in India. The 12-year-old institute has a strong grip in Management, Aircraft Maintenance Engineering, Aviation & Hospitality, Performance Enhancement and School Education.
This academy offers 4 specific aviation courses (among 10) to choose from to the students, including:
- B.Tech AEROSPACE ENGINEERING
- Integrated program – Diploma in Mechanical Engineering + B.Tech Aerospace Engineering
- Aviation Administration (BS Degree in collaboration with NYSU)
- BACHELOR OF SCIENCE IN AERONAUTICS – Affiliated to University of Mumbai
Course fee: Tuition fees varies from Rs 25,000 to 12.5 lakh
4. A.J.Aviation Academy, Bangalore:
Established in 2009, the AJ Aviation Academy in Bangalore offers a bevy of courses for those inclined towards the aviation industry.was established in 2009 in Bangalore to offer education in the field of Aviation. It is a part of AJ Group of institutions that produce professionals in the field of Aviation by providing n variety of courses.
- Diploma in Airport Management and Customer Care
- Diploma in Professional Cabin Crew Services (Air-hostesses)
- Diploma in Professional Ground Staff services
- BBA in Aviation Operations
- MBA in Aviation Management
- Diploma in Travel and Tourism
Course fee: Rs 2.4 lakh and upwards
5. Indian Aviation Academy, Mumbai:
Under the aegis of the Aero Indian Aviation Services – an IATA and Virgin Atlantic Authorised premium Aviation Training Center in India – the Indian Aviation Academy give complete knowledge and insight into the aviation industry. With three branches across Mumbai, it offers courses in services, licenses and airport management.
- Certificate in Commercial Pilot’s License (CPL)
- Certificate in Airport Customer Services
- Certificate in Basic Flight Dispatch
- Diploma in Airline Fares & E-Ticketing
- Certificate in Load Control
- Certificate in Airline Cabin Crew & in Flight Services
- Certificate(Cabin Crew and Hospitality)
- Certificate in Ramp & Cargo Operations
- Certificate in Aviation Security Awareness
- Certificate in Aviation Management
Course fee: Rs 33,000 to 2.7 lakhs per year.
6. Rajiv Gandhi Aviation Academy, Hyderabad:
Since 1995, the Rajiv Gandhi Aviation Academy has become a fully-integrated aviation trainer in India. A division of Wings Aviation Pvt Ltd, the Academy trains its students on a fleet of Cessna 152, C-172 and P-68 C aircraft. The training is supplemented by computer-based training tools, flight training devices, full-flight simulators and even the use of the old Hyderabad airport.
- Commercial Pilot License
- Pilot Licence
- Aircraft Maintenance Engineering
Course Fees: Rs 20 lakh
A dedicated campus placements cell ensures students are placed with Indian Airlines, Air India & Alliance Air, Pawan Hans, Kingfisher Airlines, Jet Airways, GoAir, Paramount Airways, Indigo Airlines, Spice Jet, Blue Dart, Gulf Air, Lufthansa, Qatar Airways, GAMCO, British Airways and Nepal Airlines.
7. Hindustan Aviation Academy, Bangalore:
Since 1983, the Hindustan Aviation Academy has worked towards academic excellence in the combined fields of aviation engineering and aviation management. Right technical experience, right learning tools and academic knowledge are the three bastions on which they base their learning programs.
It provides courses affiliated with the Central University of Karnataka, DGCA and the Bharathiar University.
- DGCA CAR 66 B1 or B2 3 Years Aircraft Maintenance Engineering course
- EASA Part 66 B1 and/or B2 5 Years Structured Type Training AME Course (A320 / B737)
- BSc Aircraft Maintenance
- BSc Aeronautical Science
- BTech Aerospace Engineering
- Advanced Diploma in Aeronautical Engineering
Course fees: Diplomas are for Rs 90,900, while Rs 3.6 lakh for main courses
The placement division here is considered very good and has been known to put students with KLM, Qatar Airways, Etihad Airways, Emirates, Gulf Air, British Airways, Singapore Airlines and Jet Airways.
8. Wingss college of aviation technology, Pune:
Set up in 2006, Wingsss College of Aviation Technology (WCAT) at Warje, Pune focuses on building up skill, attitude and work ethics among its students. It also works on teaching the value of hard work, self-dependency and confidence.
Geared towards civil aviation, WCAT is the only Pune-based institute with DGCA approval for Heavy Aeroplane (HA), Jet Engine(JE), Electrical System (ES), Instrument System (IS) & Radio Navigation System (RN). It also trains students on three self-owned aircraft (FOKERF 27 MK500-52 seater aircraft, ISKARA and PUSHPAK).
- Aircraft Maintenance Engineering (AME)
- B.Sc. (Aeronautics)
- Commercial Pilot Licence
- Private Pilot Licence
Course fees: From Rs 6.25 lakh to Rs 23 lakh
9. Ahmedabad Aviation and Aeronautics- Ahmedabad:
Since 1994, this DGCA approved flight school operates from its own hangars at SV Patel International Airport, Ahmedabad and the Mehsana Airfield. AAA currently has 5-single engine aircraft and one single / multi-engine flight simulator. Based on delivering on industry needs, the school trains its pilots and engineers accordingly.
- Commercial Pilot License
- Private Pilot License
Course Fee – Rs 7 lakh and Rs 23 lakh
In terms of placements, the academy claims to have placed over 300 of its students in different civil aviation companies.
The Colleges for aviation have given a lot of opportunities for people to look into this field. These colleges in India thus give wings to your dreams and fulfil your career goals.With inputs from Nancy Kapoor.