Hi! We’re back with more government internships!
Our first segment on government internships to consider explored government departments, ministries and other places which you can consider for both summer internships in 2017 as well as other parts of the year. And now, we continue beyond – with internships at organisations under government control or autonomy.
Government Internships in organisations:
National Human Rights Commission (NHRC):
The Commission, AKA The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) is a statutory body to hold the light to human rights, investigate and enquire into cases of possible abuse and recommend a course of action to the government on them. They safeguard, protect and educate on human rights. NHRC has been offering both summer and winter internships since 2000, with short-term, 15 internships on the side.
Summer Internships in 2017
Where: New Delhi
Duration: 30 Days (May 16, 2017 to June 14, 2017)
Who can apply:
- Students near completion of their 3-year LLB program (when applying). Those who have completed 3+2 B.A.LL.B. program can also apply.
- Students pursuing LL.M course and 4th and 5th years from Integrated Law Course.
- Students pursuing MA in Human Rights, Political Science, Sociology, Social Work (MSW), Criminology, Public Administration, Rural Development, History, Economics, Commerce, Anthropology, International Relations and others in Social Sciences from UGC recognised universities. Third-year students preferred.
- A minimum 65% marks in Class XII are a cut-off too.
Outside Delhi students – Rs 8,000 + second-class train fare
Students from Delhi-NCR – Rs 4,000
Those students who make the cut on the I, II and III position in the batch would receive a combined award of Rs 15,000.
Last date to apply: April 20, 2017
Telecom Regulatory Authority of India
The Telecom Regulatory Authority of India is the regulatory body which governs, formulates rules and regulates all telecom companies. As an intern, you would be attached to an advisor level officer in a given division and assigned projects and work reports to accomplish. The internship application needs to be submitted at their office.
Where: Multiple locations
Duration: Generally 2 months, extendable to three
How to apply:
- Send your internship applications (as outlined by this notice from 2016), areas of work interest and references, sponsored by your institution
- Watch out for specific internships on the official website
- For specific regional offices, send your application to the advisor at the office
- Academic Institutions can also enquire for placements
- 60 % marks in last qualifying examination
- Graduate students (who have completed 15 years of formal education – 10+2+3).
- 4th Year Students in Engineering Streams (10+2+4)
- 4th and 5th-year students in an integrated degree course (10+2+5)
- Students who have completed their second year in Engineering or Science from an IIT / NIT
Rs 5000 to Rs 10,000 per month (at the completion of the internship)
Central Information of Commission
The commission heads India’s efforts at a transparent and open governance, ensuring that the right to information is maintained. Generally for law students, a summer internship in 2017 with the organisation, will give you a chance to be involved in empirical research and analysis.
Where: New Delhi
Duration: 2 months to less than 6 months
How to apply:
- Submit the internship application (click here for proforma for internship)
- Submit a 50-word answer on why you seek the internship
- Two recommendations from professors, guides, employers or peers
- Indian Nationals
- Graduates /post-graduates in Law in a reputed university from India or abroad.
Applications need to be submitted at the Bhikaji Cama Place office.
Centre for Public Policy and Research:
If you’re a policy student, considering a chance at government internships, then this organisation is an offshoot you may consider. Internships here occur across the year, from one-month assignments to even year-long ones. As a facilitator for solutions, you can opt for stints with any of three study centres – Centre for Comparative Studies, Centre for Urban Studies and Centre for Strategic Studies. There is an internship fee involved.
Where: Kochi, Kerala
Duration: Six weeks to 3 months
Who can apply:
- Graduates or students pursuing graduation
- Willing to work for 30 to 150 working hours
Keen, then you can click to know more.
Other Government Internships of Note:
Technology Information Forecasting and Assessment Council (TIFAC)
An autonomous body under the Department of Science and Technology, the TIFAC holds 5-6 government internship positions every year. Nicknamed a spring internship, this opportunity has positions that are 6 months to a year long. This year, however, the positions have already closed by February 17. We would recommend keeping an eye out for the TIFAC internships next year.
Indian Academy of Sciences:
The triad of Sciences’ academies in India have come together for their summer research internship program. The Indian Academy of Sciences (Bengaluru), the Indian National Science Academy (New Delhi) and The National Academy of Sciences (Allahabad) come from the main society, which aims to promote original scientific research and its dissemination.
While the last date for the current set of summer internships closed in November, it is important to keep an eye out for the set by clicking here.