If you are a young student keen on understanding the functioning of political parties and gaining hands-on experience of political campaigns, the days cannot be brighter than this. You have a perfect opportunity to add a stint with a political party to your resume and let the recruiters know that you are looking forward to a wider dimension of things that involves the welfare of your country. In this blog, we will analyze the significance of a political internship and follow it up with a sole focus on internship opportunity with Aam Aadmi Party.
What are the roles and responsibilities given to political party interns?
You must be well-aware of the corporate internships. While a business company usually sells products, a political party sells ideas to its potential voters. If you get selected for an internship with a political party, you will probably carry out some or all of the below-mentioned tasks:
- Social media planning
- Electoral analysis
- Making strategies
- Drafting the election manifesto of the party
- Electoral analysis
- Other areas of research and content
Why should you take a political internship?
Taking a political internship is common in the western countries. In India, it is emerging at a relatively slower pace. Both regional, as well as national parties, are now seeking to leverage the power of young minds to lure voters. Those days are not far ahead when you might witness political internships in trend same as the corporate or government internships.
Benefits of taking a political internship:
As a political party intern, you can expect some advantages that you can’t get in a corporate internship.
1. Your managerial skill gets a significant upgradation.
2. Candidates who undergo political internship are looked at more positively. It shows that a candidate is driven by a larger goal of doing welfare for the country. Companies give a higher weightage to this kind of experience.
3. Political interns get valuable inputs in strategies of marketing as well as financial planning. The exposure to political campaigns helps students during their final campus. For example, a finance student gets practical knowledge of raising funds and spending funds. It helps young people work closely with the politicians.
Burning question about political internships:
Does an internship with a political party adversely affect one’s career prospects as they are seen aligned with a particular set of ideologies?
The answer is a no! A political internship is a professional assignment like any other. It shouldn’t be seen as being inclined towards a particular political outfit and their ideas.
About the internship with Aam Aadmi Party
This internship with Aam Aadmi Party is available for the position of Research Associate. Candidates with strong analytical skills will be preferred for this internship.
The location of this internship will be Bangalore.
Roles and Responsibilities:
As an intern, you will be amidst an intensive campaign environment for a candidate who will be fighting elections in May this year. You are expected to carry out the following tasks:
- Researching on relevant issues in the constituency.
- Crisp presentation of the collected data.
- Documenting the campaign activities.
Available Number of Positions: 2
Pay and Perks:
Although this internship is unpaid, you will be eligible for the Letter of Recommendation at the end of this internship. Moreover, while interning with AAP, the working hours will be flexible.
Last date to apply: 20th February 2018
If you feel your interests do not match to that of a Research Associate intern, you can instead apply for Content Editing internship at AAP. For latest internships this summer, you can explore summer internships on LetsIntern.