Internship Opportunity with Centre for Justice at India Institute Centre for Justice is a unit of India Institute, an international award winning not-forprofit, independent policy research and advocacy organisation. The Centre's mission is
1. To secure individual liberty from excessive government regulation
2. To promote rule of law and
3. To promote competition
The Centre is currently accepting applications for the position of Research InternLegal on a rolling
basis. Applications reviewed in the month of
will be considered for its
ongoing “Right to Safety Project”.
Outline of the Project
The problem of assaults on women and children has shaken the conscience of the nation
but the body of empirical research available in the country to adequately address the
issue is negligible. The Centre for Justice aims to fill this critical gap in the form of a
thorough analysis of the adequacy of our present legal framework, and
recommendations for policy and legislative reforms based on a quantitative analysis of
cases in Delhi.
Inter alia, this involves- 1. a critical analysis of relevant provisions of our criminal law, legal procedures, judicial precedents and policing methods 2. a comparative analysis of
definitions of offenses and procedures adopted in India and internationally, and 3 .a
statistical analysis of how cases involving assault on women and children have been
handled in the past in the state of Delhi. This research project is guided by a well known
Delhi University Professor of Criminal Law and supported by one of the top law firms of
the country as part of its CSR.
Selected candidates will be expected to undertake any/ all of the following tasks
1. Collect case citations from case digests (Supreme Court of India and High Court of
Delhi) and make case notes in the specified formats
2. Collect data from secondary sources, input data in specified formats and assist in
3. Locate and retrieve project related information from text-books, legal journals and
4. Visit courts and offices of other governmental bodies to collect information or
interview officials if needed
Stipend and acknowledgement
1. Interns will get a stipend between Rs 3000/- to Rs. 5000/- per month depending
on their qualifications and previous internship or work experience
2. Contribution of each intern will be duly acknowledged in the report
3. Each intern will be awarded a certificate on the successful completion of her/his
Fresh LLB graduates and students pursuing L.L.B are eligible to apply. Those with good
language skills and reasoning ability will be preferred. Selected interns will be expected
to have access to their own laptops.
Place of work
The research work shall be undertaken within NCR (National Capital Region). The
interns will work from a South Delhi office.
Interested candidates may e-mail their resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please mention
“Application – Research Intern-Legal” in the subject line.
For any further information, please contact +91-9971934263/+91-9899679259 or visit the Institute's official website www.indiai.org
Apply by: 10th Oct `13
Not-for-profit public policy think tank. Focus areas are education policies, and legal reform to promote rule of law and competition.