Security engineers make sure that the IT systems can withstand possible sources of disruption, from natural disasters to malicious hacks. In 2014, Sony, JP Morgan, eBay, SnapChat, U.S. Postal Service were just some of the names who suffered from hacks and data breachers. Clearly, security needs will only grow as more and more of our lives move online.
- Support network security efforts such as firewall audits, network design reviews and internal security consulting.
- Oversee network security functions such as intrusion detection and vulnerability scan programs.
- Keep current with new developments in security industry including alerts, bugs, vulnerabilities, and malware and evaluate/report on their potential business impact.
- Keep current with technology advancements in the network security space in areas of network design, security products (e.g., firewalls, IPS/IDS, WAF, wireless security, VPN), and threat vectors.
Technical support may help clients of the company’s products or the company’s employees to resolve technical issues.
- Installing and configuring computer hardware and applications
- Ensuring that the computer system and networks are running properly
- Instructing staff or clients how to set up systems or troubleshoot issues
- Following diagrams and written instructions to repair a fault or set up a system;
- Responding to support tickets within a reasonable amount of time
- Testing and evaluating new technology;
When you go to an e-commerce site, a blog or a social network, the content are all pulled from a database. A database administrator ensures that the data remains consistent, data is clearly defined and that users can access data in a way that suits their needs.
- Mapping out the design for database
- Controlling access permissions and privileges;
- Work closely with administrators, programmers and other staff to ensure information is entered into the database correctly.
- Monitoring performance and managing parameters to provide fast responses to front-end users;
- Considering both back-end organisation of data and front-end accessibility for end-users;
Technical writers communicate technical information about products and services in a way that is easy to understand, such as user guides for the latest gadget, instruction manuals for appliances, FAQs for an online application. The information may be presented as videos, illustrations, and graphs, as well as text.
Assessing the audience and the nature of the documentation required by:
- Understand the concept of the application and designing documentation based on the users’ needs
- Writing and editing the information
- Commissioning, coordinating or preparing illustrations;
- Indexing and cataloging material;
While a computer science background is helpful to become a data scientist, you also need good business acumen and strong analytical skills. Good data scientists sift through all available information sources to look at problems from multiple angles and discover new insights about the business. They want to learn and bring change to the organization.
- Perform and interpret data studies and product experiments concerning new data sources or new uses for existing data sources.
- Develop prototypes, proof of concepts, algorithms, predictive models, and custom analysis.
- Design and build new data set processes for modeling, data mining, and production purposes.
- Determine new ways to improve data and search quality, and predictive capabilities.
- Help the business understand and evaluate data science use-cases appropriate for their businesses
- Collaborate with business and technical teams to formulate the problem, recommend a solution approach and design a data architecture
Computer Hardware Engineer
Computer hardware engineers build the physical components of the computer systems. They research, design, develop and test computer equipment, from servers, routers, printers, chips, circuit board, military equipment, medical equipment and more.
- Select hardware and material, assuring compliance with specifications and product requirement
- Analyze information to determine, recommend, and plan layout, including type of computers and peripheral equipment modifications
- Study user needs and recommend appropriate hardware
- Test and verify hardware and peripherals to ensure that they meet specifications and requirements by recording and analyzing test data
- Monitor equipment then modify appropriately for function to ensure proper system operation
Applications developers create programs that complete specific tasks, such as browsers for surfing the web, graphics software for editing images, and accounting software to keep our books straight. The latest and the hottest jobs are of course, mobile application developers.
- Establishing a detailed program specification through discussion with clients;
- Breaking down program specification into its simplest elements and translating this logic into a programming language;
- Devising possible solutions to anticipated problems;
- Adapting the program to new requirements, as necessary;
- Conducting user testing to ensure the program can be used easily, quickly and accurately;
- Writing detailed documentation for the operation of the program by users and computer operators;
- Updating, repairing, modifying and developing existing software and generic applications.
IT Project Manager
The IT project manager oversees the budget, timeline, and supplies, and labor for a project, such as a software product release and building new IT infrastructure. Project managers may coordinate with many departments and personnel.
- Developing project plans, goals, and budgets; identifying resources needed
- Developing schedules and methods for measuring results
- Guiding and performing strategic analysis for the project
- Organising and managing all phases of the project to ensure on-time completion
- Assembling and coordinating project team members; assigning individual responsibilities
- Preparing requests for proposals and conducting all necessary meetings to facilitate selection of project services and products
- Planning and overseeing the preparation and dissemination of project communications.
Games developer create and produces games for the myriad of devices we have today, from desktop computers, game consoles and mobile phones. From designing the game’s look, mechanics, audio, programming, localisation, testing and producing, a game can take up to three years to release.
- Developing designs and/or initial concept designs for games including game play, scripts, and storyboards.
- Using 2D or 3D modeling and animation software
- Producing the audio features of the game, such as the character voices, music, and sound effects;
- Programming the game using programming languages such as C++;
- Quality testing games in a systematic and thorough way to find problems or bugs and recording precisely where the problem was discovered;
Network engineers ensure the integrity of high availability network infrastructure in order to provide maximum performance for their users (e.g. customers, staff, and partner organizations).
- Monitor network traffic and bottlenecks
- Troubleshoot network problems and outages and scheduling upgrades.
- Establishing networking environment by designing system configuration, directing system installation, defining, documenting, and enforcing system standards;
- The support and administration of firewall environments in line with IT security policy;
- Upgrading data network equipment to latest stable firmware releases;
- Configuration of routing, switching equipment, and hosted IP voice services
Interested in starting your career with some great IT internships and jobs? Take a look at some opportunities that we have for you.