About Dr. Anita Borg:
Dr. Anita Borg (1949–2003) believed that technology affects all aspects of our economic, political, social and personal lives. A technology rebel with a cause, in her life she fought tirelessly to ensure that technology’s impact would be a positive one. It was this vision that inspired Anita in 1997 to found the Institute for Women and Technology. Today this organization continues on her legacy and bears her name, The Anita Borg Institute for Women and Technology (www.anitaborg.org).
Dr. Anita Borg proposed the “50/50 by 2020” initiative, an effort to increase the percentage of women among graduates earning computing degrees to 50% by the year 2020. However, the percentage of Computer Science degrees earned by women is still far from 50% throughout the world.
As part of Google’s ongoing commitment to furthering Anita’s vision, Google is pleased to announce The Google Anita Borg Memorial Scholarship for Asia Pacific. The scholarship aims to encourage women to excel in computing and technology, and become active role models and leaders in these fields.
- Recipients of the Google Anita Borg Scholarship: Asia Pacific will receive a scholarship amount specific to their local region in respect to tuition. A group of female undergraduate and graduate students will be chosen from the applicant pool across Australia, China Mainland, Hong Kong, Taiwan, New Zealand, Japan, Korea, Southeast Asia and India.
- Scholarships will be awarded based on the strength of each candidate’s academic background and demonstrated leadership. All scholarship recipients will be invited to attend our annual Google scholars’ retreat in the Google Shanghai office from September 2nd (Wed) to September 4th (Fri) 2015.
Application Deadline: May 27, 2015
How to apply:
Please complete the online application which includes:
- General background information (includes contact information and information about your current and intended academic for the 2015-2016 school year).
- Current resume (Submit in the language you feel most comfortable with)
- Academic transcripts from your current university (and prior institution if currently in graduate school).
- Responses to three essay questions (Submit in the language you feel most comfortable with)
You will also be asked to upload electronic versions of your resume, essay responses and transcripts. Please scan your transcripts and resume into an electronic format (PDF format preferred for all requested documents) and upload them to your drive folder. In the application form you will need to provide us a link to your documents.
You should also check out:
Inside Google Office | 15 coolest things you get as a Google Employee.
Inside the Facebook Office | 10 coolest things you get as a Facebook Employee!
10 Google Chrome Extensions you must have | Double your productivity on the Internet!