If you want to pursue your career in sound engineering, you must possess some specific skills and knowledge about audio engineering. Here are some tips that can help you to become a successful audio engineer:
Use Of Microphones and Equipments
1. Use Of Essential Gears: If you want to start a recording studio at your home, youmust know the use of essential equipments like studio monitors and recording computers. For a home studio, you need not buy ultra expensive monitors. You can avail budget monitors with real good sound effects. You can use good quality headphones but try your mixing activities in the room directly without them. But, in the short run, headphones can play the role instead of the studio monitors. The recording computers can help you to record and save your songs for a later date. You can download some recording software from the internet and use them for your recording purposes.
2. Microphone Usage: You must know the method in which the microphones work. There are various types of microphones and they have their specific uses. Most popular among them are dynamic, ribbon and condenser microphones.
- The dynamic microphones are cheaper compared to the other two and can be used both in studio stations and live performances.
- The condensers are expensive and are not comfortable in using in live performances. They pick up more details from a sound track than the dynamic microphones.
- Ribbon microphones are the most expensive ones and do not require 48V power like the dynamic ones. A thin metal ribbon remains suspended through the magnetic field which captures the vibration and turns the signal with magnetic induction.
Frequency Spectrum And Vocals
3. Identify Frequencies: Frequency spectrum must be studied with the knowledge of four octaves. If you can understand the relationships between all the octaves through sound engineering courses in Mumbai, you can easily learn to differentiate frequency spectrum. There are various frequencies starting from 63 Hz and ending with the highest octave of 16 KHz
4. Record Vocals: The vocal recording can be easy if you remain relaxed with the quality of the singing. Make sure that your singer feels passionate about singing. This will help you to bring out the best from him. You must ensure that you are using the right type of microphone for the vocals. Try positioning the microphone at the right place so that the vocals can sound good. You should eliminate all the background noise and acoustics that are unwanted in the track.
5. Well-Tuned Guitars: You must set up your guitars with properly tuned up. The newly strung guitars will definitely sound better than the battered and old guitars. You can try to string your acoustic every 3 months to make it sound new always.
When you can observe that the strings are getting dull, you will also observe that the depth of the sound has also faded away.
6. Drum Sound: There can be different drums like the snare drum, kick drum, Toms and the Hi-Hat drums. Try to understand the benefits of each of them specifically in your music track.
Recording music is not a kid’s game and you need to be real serious about the equipments to produce the final outcome. With the proper techniques, you must know the usage of different equipments like the drums, microphones, studio monitors, recording computers and lot more. You must also know the proper positioning of the equipment to get the best result.