“If opportunity doesn’t knock, build a door. It is not just about ideas, its about making ideas happen.” This is something that a few took seriously and produced wonderful results.
As this the time when start-ups are flourishing in India and students from premier colleges are choosing to work in start-ups over well paying companies, let us take a look at some of the weirdest start-up ideas that have become a huge success.
1. Facebook – Almost everyone living in the 21st Century knows about this and a majority uses it. Nothing, not even Google Plus has been able to bring down its popularity. And those who have watched “The Social Network” know how the bizarre idea to put pictures of girls online resulted in this successful social networking platform.
2. Dropbox – A file sharing and syncing solution is built when the market has a dozen of them that no one uses. This was supported by big companies like Microsoft. It is being used widely these days. It was something that even Steve Jobs could not convince its creator to sell to Apple. That’s when Apple created iCloud.
3. Amazon – From selling books to acting as the service provider in India- they have done it all to serve you at the doorstep! It’s like pizza delivery! Everything at your doorstep. With the drones amazon plans on launching, this company is innovanting almost always.
4. iOS – A brand new operating system that doesn’t run a single one of the millions of applications that have been developed for Mac OS, Windows, or Linux. Only Apple can build apps for it. It won’t have cut and paste but is a hot favourite among its users.
7. Instagram – They have got filters and they allow you to post photographs to be shared at various places. So say cheese! A group of friends decided one day to stop working for an established firm and instead concentrate on transforming photography into a mode of communication. And ta da! It gave birth to Instagram.8. LinkedIn
– A professional social network, aimed at busy 30- and 40-somethings. Mostly used by people who are hunting for jobs or seeking employees for their firms.9. SpaceX – SpaceX is a “space transport company”. Even the idea sounds bizzare, so what does it do? SpaceX made history as the world’s first privately held company to send a cargo payload, carried on the Dragon spacecraft, to the International Space Station.10. Firefox
– They took it upon themselves to build a new web browser though 90% of the computers have a free one built-in already. Wonder how they thought they would still sell!11. Twitter – The original idea was to create an SMS that would allow a user to communicate with a small group of people. So it was earlier named “Status” but a Dictionary search resulted in “Twitter.=
This article has been adapted from Coolage.in.